Garbage and Recycling Survey
With the opportunity to begin a new garbage and recycling contract in June 2019, city leaders are interested in hearing what our citizens think about everything from 95-gallon carts to curbside special trash collection to recycling collection.
August 7 UPDATE: The information from the public survey and multiple public input meetings was processed and presented to City Council during their regularly scheduled meeting Monday, Aug. 6. The four biggest takeaways from the data was that the Mulch and Recycling Center was underutilized, 85% of brush and bulk setouts could be collected weekly, the current recycling bin was considered too small and the current solid waste service was more popular than automated carts.
City staff took forward the following recommendations from the Infrastructure and Development committee:
- Convert to 65-gallon recycling carts
- Keep solid waste pick up at twice a week
- Allow customers to set out a container for their trash if they would like, but the city would not provide containers
- Collect small bulk and brush items (under 30 cubic feet) weekly
- Continue monthly large item collection to be complete by 5 p.m. on Thursday instead of 5 p.m. on Friday
- Discontinue Mulch and Recycling Center operations
- Include two free trips to the landfill per year
City Council requested that staff proceed with the recommendations. The next step the city will take will be to engage a consultant that will provide estimated costs associated with specific services and evaluate benefits of Exclusive Franchise Agreement for Commercial Waste. The city will then negotiate the solid waste rate with the current solid waste provider. If a rate cannot be reached the city will then issue an RFP (Request For Proposals) from solid waste providers. View staff presentation to city council.
July 31 UPDATE: Staff will present the survey findings and a recommendation from the Infrastructure and Development Council Committee to City Council during their regularly scheduled council meeting on Monday, August 6. View survey results.
THE PROCESS: City staffers expect to begin the bidding process for Burleson's next garbage and recycling contract sometime between December 2018 and January 2019, so utility customers have until Sunday, June 30 to add their voice to the feedback via an online survey. The survey is also available in print, please contact (817) 426-9835 to request one.
Customers will also be able to speak to staff about the solid waste contract at several Town Hall meetings. Schedule of meetings are below.
- May 31, 5 - 7 p.m. Facebook Town Hall, City's Official Facebook page - online only
- June 6, 6 p.m. at Bransom Elementary, 820 S Hurst Rd, Burleson
- June 11, 6 p.m. at City Hall, 141 W. Renfro, Burleson
- June 19, 6 p.m. at Hajek Elementary, 555 NE McAlister Rd, Burleson
- June 21, 6 p.m. at Victory Family Church, 455 NW John Jones Dr, Burleson
- June 26, 6 p.m. at Burleson Public Library, 248 SW Johnson Ave, Burleson
Staff and City Council members will use the results of the short questionnaire and public input meetings to inform the city council as they consider both the initial bid request and our contract negotiations.