The city is now accepting applications for all boards and commissions. All board and commission members are pointed by the city council, appointments will be made in September.
Information on each board/commission is below.
Advisory Committee on People with Disabilities
- The committee meets as needed.
- The committee has seven members, at least four members must be disabled.
- The general purpose of the advisory board is to help fully integrate persons with disabilities into the community and maximize their participation in city events, services, and facilities.
Animal Shelter Advisory Committee
- The committee meets a minimum of three times a year.
- This committee assists the Animal Shelter regarding compliance with the state’s Health and Safety Code as well as providing recommendations for ways to improve efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Building Codes & Standards Board
- The Building Codes and Standards Board meets when it has business.
- Members include:
- 2 licensed electricians, at least 1 of which shall be a master electrician.
- 2 licensed plumbers, at least one of which shall be a master plumber.
- 1 building contractor.
- 1 person holding a license or certification from the Texas Commission on Fire Protection.
- 1 licensed heat and air conditioning contractor.
- 2 alternates with any of the above qualifications.
- The purpose of the Building Codes and Standards Board is to recommend building code ordinances or amendments for adoption and to hear appeals from building code interpretations made by the building official or the fire marshal.
- The Cemetery Board meets when it has business or requested by Burleson Cemetery Operators LLC.
- The Cemetery Board recommends policies, rules, and regulations for the Burleson Memorial Cemetery.
- Meets quarterly or as needed.
- The Library Board is primarily responsible for making informed recommendations to the Library staff on matters of library policy and long-range service plans. Board members may be asked to participate at additional events.
Old Town Design Standards Review Committee
- The Old Town Design Standards Review Committee meets when it has business.
- At least one member must live in or own a business located in the Old Town Overlay District, and that one member must be the seated president of the Burleson Heritage Foundation.
- The Old Town Design Standards Review Committee has the responsibility to review and comment on all proposed buildings or improvements within the Old Town Overlay District. Members must have general knowledge of the community and interest in planning and development of Old Town. The committee provides the City Council with comments and recommendations regarding development in Old Town.
- The Park Board meets when it has business, and special sessions are held as needed.
- The Parks and Recreation Board was created for the purpose of advising both the Parks and Recreation Department regarding the planning and development of park and recreational facilities and regulations governing their use.
Planning & Zoning Commission
- Meetings are 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m.
- The Planning and Zoning Commission's responsibility is to approve plans for subdivisions and make recommendations to the City Council regarding land use issues, rezoning requests, amendments to the zoning ordinance and other development regulations, and amendments to and updates of the Comprehensive Master Plan.
Zoning Board of Adjustment
- The Zoning Board of Adjustment meets when it has business.
- The Zoning Board of Adjustment is a quasi-judicial body created by the City Council under the authority granted by the Burleson Zoning Ordinance and the Texas Zoning Enabling Act. The board may only act in areas that it is given express authority by law.
- The major responsibilities of this board include hearing and deciding, appeals in the enforcement of the zoning ordinance, requests for variances from the terms of the zoning ordinance and cases involving the reconstruction, extension, or enlargement of nonconforming uses and structures.