What are the specifications for operating a business from my home?

A Home Occupation, as defined by the City of Burleson's Code of Ordinances, is an occupation in a dwelling unit that meets the following qualifications: 

1. No person other than members of the family residing on the premises are engaged in the occupation on the premises. 

2. The use of the dwelling unit for the home occupation is clearly incidental and subordinate to its use for residential purposes by its occupants, and not more than 250 square feet of floor area of the dwelling unit are used in the conduct of the home occupation. 

3. There is no visible evidence of the conduct of the home occupation from outside the building. 

4. The home occupation is not conducted in an accessory building. 

5. Any sales in connection with the home occupation are clearly secondary, and there are no sales from the dwelling. 

6. Traffic is not generated by the home occupation in greater volumes than would normally be expected in a residential neighborhood, and any need for parking generated by the conduct of the home occupation is met off the street and other than in a required front yard. 

7. Equipment, processes or work is not used or conducted in the home occupation which creates noise, vibration, glare, fumes, odors, or electrical interference detectable to the normal senses off the lot. In the case of electrical interference, no equipment, process or work is used or conducted which creates visual or audible interference in any radio or television receivers off the premises, or causes fluctuation in line voltage off the premises. 

8. The following occupations are specifically excluded as home occupations: operation of beauty culture schools, beauty parlors, barber shops, lawn mower or other small engine repair, automotive repair, television, radio, or electronic repair and bicycle repair. 

To find out where in Burleson Home Occupations are permitted, please see the Zoning section of the City's Code of Ordinances. You may contact the Development Services Department for assistance at 817-426-9611.

Code of Ordinances

Show All Answers

1. What codes does the City currently use?
2. What are the specifications for operating a business from my home?
3. What is the fax number for Building Inspections?
4. What is required to register as a contractor with the City of Burleson?
5. Where do I get a Certificate of Occupancy, register my business, and get a tax ID number?
6. Do I need a permit for a garage sale and if so how do I obtain one?
7. Is a permit required for a storage building?
8. Is a permit required for a fence?
9. Is a permit required for a swimming pool?
10. How can I request an inspection?
11. Do I need a permit for a retaining wall?
12. What is the ordinance for sign placement and are permits required?