Understanding Your Options

Handling of Adult Cases (for those 17 years old or older):

Straight Payment:
Payment received by the court without any additional documentation is recorded as a plea of “no contest” and waiver of trial by judge or jury, and a conviction is entered and the conviction is reported to DPS.
Note: if you want to pay but do not have the money for the entire amount at this time, contact the court to see if you are eligible for other arrangements.

Compliance Dismissal:
There are certain violations that may be dismissed if you provide proof to the court.

Keeping the Violation Off Your Record:
 Plea “no contest” and, if eligible, complete a Driver Safety Course or Deferred Disposition so that if successfully completed, your case will be dismissed.

Enter a written plea of “not guilty” along with your signature. The case will be set on a pre-trial docket prior to the matter being heard by a judge or jury. 

Handling of Juvenile Cases (16 years old or younger)

You must appear in court with your parent(s) or guardian(s). A court docket notice will be mailed to the address on your citation. If the address on your citation is incorrect, please provide your new address in writing.