Burleson 101 Civic Academy
Nine (9) classes, January 11 - May 9
Meetings are held on Thursdays, 6:30pm - 8:30pm, Council Chambers or other City facilities.
- All sessions will be held in person
- Department head or staff will present
- Graduation ceremony and recognition during May council meeting.
|Tentative Topics (to be finalized by Departments)
|Welcome from Mayor; Introduce Council & Executive Staff; Council/Manager Form of Government; Overview of City Departments; Review Session Outline; tour City Hall and Annex.
|Public Works discussion; CIP Overview; Water/Wastewater Education
|Tour BRiCK and Bartlett Park; CIP Discussion
Location: Burleson Recreation Center, 550 NW Summercrest Blvd.
|EMS Overview; Firefighter 101; Rescue 101
Location: Fire Station 16, 250 E. Hidden Creek Pkwy.
|Tour Police station; virtual shooting training, future PD expansion discussion
|Tour Municipal Court facility: Justice in a fair, efficient and timely manner
|Overview of Development Services Comprehensive Plan, Overview of Economic Development strategic initiatives; Overview of city financials.
|Overview of Library, Senior Center, and Animal Services
|May 9 Graduation
|Overview of nonprofits operating in the community; how the city provides information to our residents and what you can do to stay connected.
|May 13 - Special Session
|Class will be recognized during City Council Special Meeting
The purpose of Burleson 101 is to familiarize citizens with the structure, functions and activities of Burleson government, encourage citizens to become involved in their community, and enhance their ability to communicate effectively with city officials. Class sessions cover a broad range of city departments, operations and volunteer opportunities. Class size is limited to 20 participants.
- Get better acquainted with the city you live in
- Meet your local elected officials and city staff
- Gain first-hand experience and exposure to the wide range of city services, functions, activities and issues
- Become an active community member
- Provide feedback to the city regarding municipal services
Class is limited to 20 participants (Registration Required)
- Participants will be randomly drawn for each class
- Participants must complete an online form to apply
- Limited to City of Burleson residents (not ETJ), age 18 and older
- Only one member from a household per class
- Participants must commit to attending at least seven sessions, not counting graduation
- Participants are encouraged to attend at least one City Council meeting during the course of the Academy.
- Registration opens December 1st